Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Evaluating For Excellence

Quote for the day: "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit"
~ Aristotle

excellence- 1. The state, quality, or condition of excelling; superiority. 2. Something in which one excels.

As I continue to review curriculum, read books for literature, and create lesson plans, I am constantly looking for a structured way to monitor my daughter's work each year. I usually look over her yearly work and assess standardized test scores, but I did not have a general plan that I used each year to make these assesments.

I read about Evaluating for Excellence by Teresa Moon on a curriculum board, and came across a copy of it at a used curriculum fair. What a gem! It really gives direction for evaluating student progress and setting goals from year to year. It is definately a valuable resource.
___________________________________________________________________

Summer is quickly flying by! I am enjoying the extra time with my family, along with the summer heat.

I had anticipated blogging more during the summer, but it has turned out to be a less. I guess when the usual routine returns in mid August, then I will blog a little more.

3 comments:

Randi said...

Your blog looks great-so creative!

Anonymous said...

I love your definition! Finding out what things actually mean is so valuable. I had my nephew, who is a Boy Scout look up the word merit. I figured if he were to be earning Merit Badges, he should know the standard of the work to accomplish them. Now he knows he must work to his excellence in order for the badge to be truly earned.

fawad said...

Nice post.Sounds like a great book.Thanks for sharing post.
http://superioreducationz.com
Education Information