Friday, April 01, 2005

Purpose

Scripture for today:"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." ~ Romans 8:28

purpose n. The object toward which one strives or for which something exists; an aim or a goal.

What is your purpose?

This question generates great thought. How many of us continue to seek our purpose is in this life? There are thousands of Bible Studies currently using The Purpose Driven Life. (Which I have not read) I know that I have come across this question many times in my own life.... What is it that God wants me to do?

As women, wearing the many hats that we wear, life can often seem repetitious and mundane. I have personally felt this way in seasons of my life, but I have also talked to countless numbers of women who have felt the same way. Many women are constantly looking for that "Ah Hah" moment, job, or hobby. (As Oprah puts it) (Whom by the way, is not married). In addition, many women are in search of a ministry, outreach or position in their church to help fulfill this "purpose."

I once heard a minister state that "your ministry isn't any good , unless you have ministered in your own home first." Those may not be the exact words, but that message which was many years ago, has remained in my thoughts for years. As women, we can take a lot away from that statement.

Our purpose or ministry begins in our home, with our husband and children, whether we like it or not. If we can not manage our home life first, how can we reach beyond those walls, and minister to others?

"And the Lord God said it is not good for man that he should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him." ~ Gen 2:18

Feminists would pass out reading this scripture, but this is our primary calling. We are to be a helper suitable for our husbands.

Over the years, I have personally struggled with this. My parents were divorced, and I grew up in a home where feminism reigned! But thank God for his Word!!!! I still occasionally struggle, but I know God's purpose in this area and my desire is to honor it.

"Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it." ~ Proverbs 22:6

This duty in itself will take 18 years minimum per child. (smile) Within this training we have great opportunities of purpose and ministry. Children are a great blessing.

It doesn't mean that we can't have other interests and activities (I'm not legalistic), but these scriptures guide us on our focus.

Purpose? It begins in the home. Look around and see where you can improve so that God will be glorified.
( I'm doing a mental scan right now.) (Gulp)

4 comments:

Randi said...

Awesome! Lately, God has been showing both me and my husband so much in regard to this principle! It has changed so much in our relationship and in our family as a whole. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I found this blog. I homeschool 3 boys and have been looking for some homeschooljournals to read.

I enjoyed reading through a few of your entries.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could remember how I stumbled upon your blog...

In any case, I do not normally read blogs even though I have one. Mine is topically focused and not a journal like yours is. But, I found myself reading every single one of your entries and bookmarking the homepage to come back to the next time I need some encouragement.

I particularly like the scripture/quote/thought for the day you begin most posts with.

I even read your profile! given that the 7 Habits is among your favorite books, this particular post makes me think you might enjoy the Purpose Driven Life. Have you read it? Also, on one of your posts, you mentioned currently reading The Good Earth. I read that book several years ago and it was one of those books that had a promising beginning and an ending that kind of spoiled it for me with what I think I remember as tainted with a strong dose of secular humanism. Do I remember it correctly?

Sorry if this comment is too long...
Blessings from a homeschool dad.

Andi said...

Mark,

I haven't read the Purpose Driven Life, but I've heard great things about it. I will have to add it to my list of must-reads. :)

By the way, you have a very informative site!

Mikki